Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Somedays I actually like my job

There are so many days that I leave the office with the sense that I am facing a mountain with no path around or over but every once in a while I get a hint to where those paths are hidden.
The majority of people who come through my office are living at poverty or sub-poverty level and seeking to "fix" a bad situation. The rare client is one who is just looking for guidance through the court system.
The client I had this morning was one who made my week. Mrs. C was an older lady who has been selling Avon for 42 years! She lost her husband 4 years ago and says that the business gets her out of the house and keeps her involved in the community. She has met a wide range of people and been many places. She came to me to finalize a small-claims against a customer. How sad she was to have to go through the courts. I would guess she is over 75 years old but it didn't seem to bother her to have to do this herself. All she needed from me was to notarize her signature.
I think I felt better when she left because she seemed to be confident about what needed to be done and that someone cared enough to reassure her.

This afternoon I have an interview with the Tribune. I'm not sure how I feel about it. I don't want my picture in the paper nor do I want to take anything away from what my office does for the community. I hope I can give the reporter enough information to create a positive piece about us.

So, for right now, I like my job.... I probably won't by 5PM...

No comments: